UConn to receive $1.5 billion for research

Gov. Malloy launches ‘Next Generation Connecticut’ initiative

News Editor

Published: Thursday, January 31, 2013

New buildings, an enrollment hike and revamped science and math programs will be introduced at the University of Connecticut under Gov. Dan Malloy’s proposal to invest $1.5 billion in the school.

Malloy’s proposal is expected to revolutionize UConn’s science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs. Buildings will be constructed on the Storrs campus to accommodate an increase in enrollment of 6,580 and 259 new faculty members.

The Greater-Hartford Campus will be moved to downtown Hartford, and a residential community will be created for STEM students on the Storrs Campus.

“This will create and support the very jobs we need to be an economically vibrant and successful state in the future,” UConn President Susan Herbst said in a UConn Today press release. “In this era, more than ever, states must rely on their public research universities to be the backbone and the driver of economic success – and that is exactly what this proposal would accomplish.”

The funds are a part of a plan called Next Generation Connecticut, which will focus on bringing the state of Connecticut to the forefront of research and academics, as well as creating more jobs and companies.

The announcement of the start of Next Generation Connecticut comes less than one month after Gov. Malloy announced that the UConn Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine would be funded $291 million for construction over the next decade as part of Malloy’s Bioscience Connecticut initiative.