UConn weathers the Red Storm to avoid upset

Associate Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013

KML

Conn forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis dribbles the ball in a recent game at the XL Center in Hartford.

TROY CALDEIRA/The Daily Campus

The No. 3 UConn women’s basketball team defeated St. John’s 71-65 on Saturday in New York despite missing one of their best players, center Stefanie Dolson.

Dolson missed the first game of her career in a Husky uniform with flu-like symptoms. Her absence on the court was noticeable, as the Huskies ran the risk of falling to St. John’s for the second year in a row during the regular season. It was last season that the Red Storm ended UConn’s 99-game home winning streak.

Sophomore forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis scored 19 total points in the game to help lead the Huskies to victory in one of UConn’s closest Big East games of the season.

The Huskies found themselves tied 35-35 with the unranked Red Storm at halftime. UConn also found themselves outrebounded by St. John’s 16-14 in a half where UConn shot 42.9 percent from the field and 21.4 percent from behind the arc. The Huskies also lost sophomore guard Brianna Banks to a right knee injury with 10:02 remaining before halftime. According to Rich Elliott of the Connecticut Post, Banks will undergo an MRI on her knee today and her injury is currently being called a sprain by a UConn spokesperson.

Lewis was the only member of the Huskies at the half who had reached double digits in points, but she would add to that point total in a key part of the game in the second half. The game was tied at 57 and with the clock running down, Lewis had a three-point play and then scored four free throws. St. John’s would not go away quietly however, as the Red Storm came within four points of UConn’s lead with 1:37 left to play.

With just over a minute left in the game, senior guard Kelly Faris hit a three pointer to end the St. John’s threat as the Huskies managed to hold on for the victory. Faris was one of UConn’s other top performers of the afternoon as she scored 17 total points and grabbed five rebounds. Faris also went 3-5 from the behind the arc and shot 100 percent from the free throw line. Junior guard Bria Hartley scored 10 points and grabbed two boards respectively.

The victory improved the Huskies to an overall record of 20-1 and conference record of 7-1. With the win over St. John’s, UConn remained undefeated on the road with a record of 8-0 in opponents’ arenas.

UConn will return home to Gampel Pavilion tomorrow when they take on Marquette. Tip-off between the Huskies and the Golden Eagles is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the game can be seen live on SNY.