UConn women look to avoid Memphis blues

Associate Sports Editor

Published: Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 21:01

The No. 1 UConn women’s basketball team will match up against Memphis for the second time this season. In the Huskies’ seventh conference game, the Tigers–who are 10-8 in the regular season and 3-3 in the American–will visit Connecticut and the Huskies on their home court. 

The two teams played only a few weeks ago on Jan. 4 at the FedEx Forum, where UConn won by 41 points. Although the Tigers had a few early leads, they were no match for the Huskies. UConn outshot Memphis 53.6 percent to 30.8 percent and forced 19 turnovers, which the Huskies turned into 34 points. 

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis dominated the court in her fourth game back post-injury, scoring 21 points and playing 30 minutes. Breanna Stewart racked up 17 points, while Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson scored a combined total of 25 points to defeat the Tigers 90-49.

Ariel Hearn and Pa’Sonna Hope kept Memphis in the game scoring 20 points and 11 points respectively. Without these two opponents Memphis would have no shot. No other member on the team scored more than seven points throughout the game.  

Although UConn has been beating opponents by an average of over 30 points, their mentality has not changed. The team has made it clear that they want to go above and beyond the high expectations that have been already set. With their struggles in injuries and adjusting to the new rules, the Huskies proved their depth. However, Baylor recently gave UConn a run for their money. 

The much anticipated game against the then No.7 Lady Bears was one of the few lessons the Huskies were able to acquire during the regular season. Despite such a close match up, this game not only gave UConn more confidence and reassurance, but it also gave opposing teams more ammunition against the Huskies. Memphis has the opportunity to revamp their game, in hopes of improving their record and play like Baylor did. However Memphis’ task will not be taken lightly, especially with the forces UConn has in the frontcourt

For the second time this season, Hartley was named the America Athletic Conference Player of the Week after averaging 23.5 points in two games against ranked opponents. Hartley also had a career-high of 30 points against Rutgers on Sunday, and was fittingly named to the Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List and the 2014 Wooden Top-20 Midseason Watch list. 

Hartley and the Huskies will look to keep their game at its best tonight at the XL Center in Hartford. Tip off will be at 7 p.m. on SNY or ESPN3