Where are they now? Donyell Marshall (1991-94)

Campus Correspondant

Published: Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The UConn basketball program became what it is today because of Jim Calhoun. However, if we were to credit one player with turning Storrs into a basketball powerhouse, it would undoubtedly be Donyell Marshall.

Marshall grew up in Reading, Penn. and was a very talented player in high school. After playing in the McDonalds All-American game, he fielded offers from various schools, but it ultimately came down to a decision between the University of Syracuse, University of Maryland and UConn. After a visit with Jim Calhoun, however, Marshall made his choice.

As a freshman, Marshall averaged 11.1 points and 6.1 rebounds per game. It was clear that he possessed a tremendous amount of skill. In his sophomore year, Marshall improved his averages to 17 points and 7.8 rebounds per game. However, the team underachieved and finished the season with a 15-13 record.

Before his junior season, Marshall was selected to be a member of the USA under-22 Olympic Team. The experience paid huge dividends for Marshall as he practiced against the best college players in the nation. His improvement was obvious and Marshall grew into one of the most talented players in the country. With averages of 25.1 points, 8.9 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per game, Marshall was named a First Team All-American as well as a finalist for the Naismith Player of the Year, both firsts for a Connecticut Husky. Marshall also led UConn to a 29-5 record and a Sweet Sixteen appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

He finished his career with 1,648 points and 245 blocked shots, which rank No. 11 and No. 3 in UConn history.

Marshall’s success at UConn as a basketball star from outside the state of Connecticut paved the way for talented players such as Ray Allen and Richard Hamilton to come to UConn and play for Calhoun.

Marshall left for the NBA after his junior season and was selected No. 4 overall in the 1994 draft by the Minnesota Timberwolves. Marshall played just 40 games for Minnesota before being traded to the Golden State Warriors. Marshall played with the Warriors until 2000 and has since played for multiple teams, including the Utah Jazz, Chicago Bulls, Toronto Raptors, Cleveland Cavaliers, Seattle Supersonics and Philadelphia 76ers. He averaged a career high 16.2 points and 10.8 rebounds in 2004 while playing for the Toronto Raptors.

Marshall finished with career averages of 11.2 points and 6.7 rebounds.

After retiring, Marshall briefly worked for Comcast SportNet as an analyst. He is currently an assistant coach with the NBA D-League’s Maine Red Claws.