Women's Basketball: Huskies face UC Davis in final tune-up before taking on No. 2 Duke

Associate Sports Editor

Published: Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 22:12

After a jam-packed November schedule, the Huskies’ slate has slowed to a winter crawl.

Next up, just the second of their five December games, is the University of California–Davis.

The month got off to a sloppy start for UConn (9-0) on Sunday in Springfield. The end result was a 21-point win over Ohio State in the Hall of Fame Women’s Classic, but the product was less than pristine.

“It’s tough,” Stefanie Dolson said after the win. “You get your body and mind used to one schedule and then it will change again.”

The rust will only be given a chance to intensify in the coming days, as following Thursday’s game, UConn will have 12 days off to focus on finals. After that comes game No. 4 in the sluggish month: a trip to Cameron Indoor and No. 2 Duke.

But in the meantime, they’ll have to take care of business against the Aggies (2-4).

The Huskies enter the contest averaging 86.2 points per game–in fact, their 70 points against the Buckeyes was a season low. That doesn’t bode well for UC Davis, which boasts the nations No. 166-ranked scoring defense.

Aside from scoring at a rapid pace, UConn has also been remarkably clean on offense from a turnover standpoint. The Huskies have given up possession just 96 times in their first nine games, which ranks third in the nation.

Impressively, Saniya Chong has been the most sure-handed player among UConn’s regulars. The freshman guard has turned it over just six times in 202 minutes to begin her career, including four turnover-free perfromances.

Tip-off on Thursday is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the XL Center. The game will be televised on SNY.