Women's hockey season ends

Published: Sunday, March 3, 2013

The University of Connecticut women’s hockey team’s season met its conclusion this weekend as the Huskies fell to Boston University for the third consecutive game, this time in the Hockey East Tournament by a score of 5-1.

After a heated home and away doubleheader last weekend, the Huskies looked to show Boston University what they were made of in the playoffs. Unfortunately for UConn, those plans would not pan out.

The Terriers moved quickly, securing a 2-0 lead early in the second period. Goals were scored by Marie-Philip Poulin and Kayla Tutino. The Huskies would strike back with a goal of their own at the end of the second period. Margaret Zimmer was able to beat the goaltender, cutting the Terrier lead in half. The goal was assisted by Emily Snodgrass and Stephanie Raithby.

The Terriers would finish off the playoff matchup with three unanswered goals. Boston University’s Jenelle Kohanchuk scored two consecutive goals for the Terriers, pushing the lead to 4-1. Caroline Campbell would finish off the day for the Terriers as she beat the goalie for a goal of her own, ending the game at 5-1.

Elaine Chuli amassed 30 saves in the loss and has truly been a bright spot for the Huskies thus far in her short career. The coaching staff has been very pleased with the young freshman as she continues to grow at her position.

The Huskies season concludes at a record of 3-29-3 overall and 1-19-1 in conference. UConn will lose three seniors to graduation going into next year and will look to improve on the young players that make up their roster.