Women's hockey swept by Vermont

Published: Monday, December 3, 2012

The UConn Huskies dropped both of their games this weekend to the Vermont Catamounts. UConn was shutout in each effort as they lost 3-0 on Saturday and 2-0 on Sunday.

Saturday’s game started out with a scoreless first period for each team. However, the second period would prove to be explosive for the Catamounts. Vermont would score three back-to-back-to-back goals giving them a 3-0 lead. The first goal came off the stick of Senior, Forward Erin Wente. The other two were netted by sophomore, forward Meghan Huertas.

The Huskies would be unable to make a comeback on Saturday as the Catamounts 3-0 run would prove to be too much to overcome. UConn was able to successfully out shoot Vermont, 15-10. Elaine Chuli was able to stop 28 of the Catamounts 31 shots in the effort.

“I thought we had a lack luster, poor performance,” said Coach Heather Linstad, “even though we outshot them.”

The Huskies would get another shot at the Catamounts Sunday at Freitas Forum. Unfortunately the outcome would be very similar to Saturday’s effort. The Huskies were once again shutout, this time 2-0. After a scoreless first period that saw an intense scrappy performance on each side, the Catamounts broke the tie with a goal by Danielle Rancourt. The goal was assisted by Wente and came just after a UConn penalty kill with 2:05 left on the clock in the second period.

UConn continued to fight, but failed to net a goal in the contest. They would once again out shoot Vermont, this time 27-26. Vermont would score another goal midway through the third period. The goal was scored by Wente and was this time assisted by Rancourt. Vermont would hold the 2-0 lead for the remainder of the contest and sweep the Huskies on the weekend. Elaine Chuli was able to successfully stop 24 shots in the game, but took the loss.

“Today I thought that systems wise, schemes wise, we made better things happen,” said Coach Linstad. “I think that were not having the success so that when we have their goalie on her butt, we need to burry those chances. Unfortunately they took advantage of a couple oppurtunites.”

Sunday’s game was marked by a very physical style of play that saw three penalties for each team and bodies flying everywhere. “I think we should be more physical,” said Coach Linstad. “One of our problems all year is that were very passive and we need to get into people’s faces, it’s the only way to steal the puck in women’s hockey”.

The two losses drop the Huskies to 2-14-2 on the season and 1-7 in Hockey East. UConn will have another chance to break a their current losing streak again one month from now as they take on Princeton in Storrs after the Holiday break.