Women's Lacrosse: UConn falls to Dartmouth, 14-11

Published: Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 23:02

The UConn women’s lacrosse team lost 14-11 to Dartmouth at Skully-Fahey Field on Wednesday.

The Huskies started off the game strong with two quick goals from midfielders, Katherine Fickelston and Karaline Smith, but Dartmouth came storming back with some offense of their own.

The Big Green responded with four straight goals. Dartmouth was able to take control of the game after Sarah Byrne scored three of her game-high six goals, which gave Dartmouth a commanding 8-5 lead at the half.

UConn's Jordan Christopher tried to rally UConn at the start of the second half when she scored a quick goal on Dartmouth’s Kristen Giovanniello, but Dartmouth continued to retaliate.

The Huskies were very productive in the offensive zone, but they were unable to stop Dartmouth from scoring. The teams traded goals for ten minutes until Dartmouth attacker Liz Calby netted two goals, making it a four-goal game.

Connecticut was only able to cut Dartmouth’s lead to two for the remainder of the game. Dartmouth’s high-powered offense was too much for the Huskies to handle on the road. However, UConn sophomore goalkeeper, Shannon Nee, did have a season high 15 saves on the day despite giving up 14 goals.

Connecticut’s next game is Saturday at 1 p.m. against No. 13 Boston College at the George Sherman-Family Sports Complex. A win Saturday would bring the Huskies back to .500 on the season.