Women's track and field ties for fifth at Invitational

Published: Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The UConn women’s track and field team returned from the Armory Collegiate Invitational with a top 5 finish. The women tied for 5th place at this past weekends meet with the University of Arkansas and Texas A&M University. There were four individual top five finishes from the team; senior Brigitte Mania (800m, 3rd place), senior Victoria Flowers (weight throw, 4th place), Senior Ilva Bikanova (high jump, 3rd place), and Junior Natasha McLaren (high jump, 5th place). Also, the relay teams turned in great performances, including the 4x200 team placing 2nd, the 4x800 team placing 3rd and the Distance Medley Relay team placing 5th. However, according to Coach Bill Morgan, this meet was not a complete success.

“Aside from the Distance Medley Relay, it certainly was not one of our best performances,” Coach Morgan stated. “For the caliber of meet I would have thought better performances would be achieved.”
The Distance Medley Relay team stood out not only to their coach, but to the national ranks as well, as they are now ranked 6th nationally. The team consists of senior Shauna McNiff, juniors Celina Emerson and Brigitte Mania, and sophomore Lindsay Crevoiserat.

Although Victoria Flowers finished 4th in the weight throw, Coach Morgan is not worried about his All-American. “This is the only meet she has not responded well,” Morgan stated. “Sometimes you just have a bad day of performing and that’s it. I’m not worried about Victoria.”
Also, while UConn placed two jumpers in the top 5 at the high jump, Coach Morgan was not overly thrilled with the results. “I think having 2 All-Americans, expectations would be for national level performances,” Morgan explained. “This has not occurred at this point, but I am hopeful things will change.”
Expectations for the Women’s Track and Field team at the University of Connecticut are always high, and simply placing in the top 5 isn’t always an accomplishment. But according to Coach Morgan it was a great way for the team to realize their weaknesses.

“The high level of competition exposed some of the concerns we need to address. I believe those of us who are honest with our efforts and motivations will move forward.”